gnome problems under slackware

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Thu Nov 27 21:41:10 EST 2003

yyou need to get and install festival. when you are dropped back to
your prompt that means something didn't work. if everything is
installed festival should start talking and read a menu of config
tests for you to perform.
for instructions on building festival and configuring for gnopernicus
visit
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/testing/gnopernicus.html
hth
On Thu,
Nov 27, 2003 at 07:47:51PM -0600, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> One more thing I forgot to mention is that I don't have festival or
> anything like that installed, since I assumed that was part of the
> gnome-speech package.
>
> When I run test-speech, I get:
>
> 1: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.2
>

> When I hit 1, I get :
> Atempting to activate
> OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.2.
>
> Then, I just get my standard bash prompt. I assume that means that
> things worked. If this isn't correct, and I need to install festival,
> then is there a slackware package somewhere for it, or am I going to
> need to build it from source?
> Thanks.
>
> Greg
>

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:54:45PM -0500, Alex Snow wrote:
> > I didn't need to configure x at all on my slack 9.1 system. Once I
> > installed x and gnome I ran pkgtool, chose the setup option, and reran
> > the x window manager selection script. I chose gdm and the default and
> > now all I need to do is run startx and gnome loads up fine.

back.