getting Gnopernicus to speak

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Fri Nov 21 11:07:22 EST 2003

Hi.  Gnome-speech is the gnome module that handles your speech
synthesizers.  If you have a complete installation of gnome 2.4 then you
should already have gnopernicus and gnome-speech installed.
You don't need to run festival.  Gnome-speech starts it's own
servers.
This is just a guess, but run level 5 started gdm.  The gdm default
session starts gnome but the startx script doesn't hava a default
session.  Try creating a file in your home dir called .xinitrc
In it, put

exec gnome-session

That should make the startx script start a gnome session.

          Kenny