getting Gnopernicus to speak

showell at lrxms.net showell at lrxms.net
Fri Nov 21 04:32:47 EST 2003

Folks,

I am interested in trying this out. I am using Fedora 1.0 and everything
appears to be installed. The question I have and haven't been able to
determine from the docs is this. First in the GNopernicus documentation
I found on the web it refers to gnome-speech, but I haven't located this
and it apparently is a program. I'll have to go back over the docs to
refresh my memory of its purpose, but I guess until I find it that won't
matter much.<grin> Can someone tell me if this thing exists and where I
might locate it? I might be digging in the wrong place or searching for
it incorrectly, but maybe its something else.
Ok the other question is do I need to launch festival in server mode
prior to running startx or does it get launched as a part of the
Gnopernicus startup process. I haven't found anything that says one way
or the other, but then I'm not surprised as perhaps its assumed the
speech server/whatever is already running. This again could be a
missconception on my part.
Oh lastly, I reconfigured the box to start in runlevel 3 instead of 5 so
I can just run startx. I did run this lastnight my wife mentioned the
screen was blank. It was not blank when the runlevel was set to 5 and I
ran startx. Any ideas?

tia
Scott