Debian or slackware?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Nov 16 01:48:02 EST 2003

Yes, and if I may add, the boot process is pretty easy too.  If you
are booting from a CD, after everything stops spinning or whatever,
you should be at a lilo prompt; just type speakup.s
speakup_synth=<synth_name> and if your synth is plugged into the right
serial port (ttyS0 or com1), hit the enterkey and the system should
start booting and come up talking.  My machines don't boot from CD so
I have to copy out boot/root images onto floppies to ultimately do the
same process.  There's some good docs on the root directory of CD #1
that should help you further.

I cut my linux teeth on Slackware and still like it best.  I tried to
play with Debian a while back but ran into so many driver/module
compatibility problems with the available speakup enabled bootdisks, I
had to give it up.  I think the Debian package offerings and
maintenance tools are better but I fall back into my "box / comfort
zone" with Slackware.  Actually, Slackware has improved the package
tools a bit with version 9.1.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!