2.4.22

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 14 09:49:36 EST 2003

Not at all.

I have 2.4.22 on all four of my machines -- on my Thinkpad T30 and old
office Pentium 3/350 over the Speakup Modified Fedora Core 1.0, and on
an old Pentium 2/200 and on a DEC Alphastation AS200 both running Debian
Woody. I'm having no problems.

I will say that the art of configuring a successful kernel compilation
has become considerably more complex than it was a year or two ago. It
has taken me multiple attempts to build a kernel that compiles and works
properly. But, I don't blame the kernel for that.

Complexity is the result of numerous features. It is the antithesis of
simplicity for that very reason.

Luke Davis writes:
> From: Luke Davis <ldavis at shellworld.net>
>
> Does anyone else hold this opinion (that 2.4.22 is crap)?  I am in the
> processof compiling it on a live commercial server, and would like
> opinions of this.
>
> Luke
>  On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Gregory Nowak wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > The subject says it all. I went back to linux 2.4.21, and the box
> > works like a charm. No segmentation faults, no inactivity for long
> > periods, it's all gone.
> >
> > Thanks to all who provided suggestions/help, but in the end it turned
> > out that 2.4.22 is a piece of crap.
> > That's my personal opinion, which I have the right to state, so no
> > flames please.
> >
> > Greg

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group