my play box has turned into a paper weight

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Nov 11 16:58:41 EST 2003

Actually, I discovered something new yesterday. Before, I was doing
everything on that box via ssh, since I'll take the double talk pc's
speech over that of the braille blazer's any day. Anyway, I decided to
actually get logged into the box itself on a real console, to see if
anything would be different. Something did turn out to be
different. Where during the ssh sessions programs just gave me
segmentation faults, and did all these weird things, when I was on a
real console, I got a kernel oops, and then the weird stuff after
every kernel oops.

I'm running on kernel 2.4.22 on that box now. Since I have not had
good experiences with kernel 2.4.22 so far on any of my other boxes,
I'm going to compile a 2.4.21 kernel for that machine on another
machine, and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'll just
attribute the weird behavior to 2.4.22. If it doesn't make a
difference, then I'll still blame my hardware. I'll report back with
my findings of course.

Greg