Heeeelp, my Fedora won't let me start in text mode

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Nov 11 07:12:47 EST 2003

You could try creating a .xinitrc file in your home directory.  (Note the
dot in .xinitrc)  In the .xinitrc file put

exec gnome-session

Save it and then type
startx

You should end in a gnome session.  Remember that you will switch
consoles as X starts so you might get a lot of talking from your synth
as you switch.  If you want to look at the errors that happen during
your session, use ctl-alt-function key to get back to the console where
you ran the startx command.  When you end the Gnome session, you will be
returned to the console where you typed the startx command.

Personally, I find it easier to let gdm start and log in using it
instead of starting Gnome from a text console.

         Kenny