speechd-el 0.1 released -- Emacs speaks with Speech Dispatcher

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 7 14:20:50 EST 2003

 And, indeed when I do a locate for that, the only ones around are in
 Xemacs.

 The emacs on my Fedora Core 1.0 is emacs-21.3-7

 On my Debian it's 21.2.1.

 Anyone know anything about queue-f?

Jan Buchal writes:
> From: Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org>
>
> speechd-el 0.1 released
> =======================
>
> The Brailcom organization is happy to announce that the speechd-el 0.1 was
> released.
>

> * What is speechd-el?
>
>   speechd-el is an Emacs client to Speech Dispatcher, providing a
>   complex speech interface to Emacs, focused especially on (but not
>   limited to) the blind and visually impaired users.  It allows the user
>   to work with Emacs without looking on the screen, using the speech
>   output produced by the synthesizers supported in Speech Dispatcher.
>
>   Key speechd-el features are:
>
>   - Automated speaking of most Emacs messages and actions, without
>     necessity to customize each particular Emacs function to make it
>     speak.
>
>   - Most built-in and external Emacs packages can produce speech output
>     immediately, without any special support.
>
>   - Almost no change of the standard Emacs behavior, no interference
>     with user settings.
>
>   - Highly configurable.
>
>   - Full cooperation with Speech Dispatcher.
>
>   - Small code size.
>
>   - Free Software, distributed under the GPL.
>
>   Part of the speechd-el package is an Elisp library for communication
>   with Speech Dispatcher, allowing you to write your own Emacs speech
>   output extensions and your own Emacs interfaces to Speech Dispatcher.
>
> * Where to get it?
>
>   You can get the distribution tarball of the released version from
>   http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd-el/speechd-el-0.1.tar.gz .
>
>   The home page of the project is http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el .
>

> --
>
> Jan Buchal
> Tel: (00420) 224921679
> Mob: (00420) 608023021

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group