off-topic: mobile accessibility

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 7 13:14:28 EST 2003

Your U.S. Congress agrees with you. You shouldn't have to pay extra.
That's why Section 255 was put in the 1996 Telecommunications Act.

But, just because it's the law doesn't mean it's going to happen that
way. It's absolutely essential for people to file Section 255 complaints
with the FCC.

I have seen a lot of complaining on the email lists over the years about
how telephone companies are doing blind people wrong. The complaining is
right for the most part. But complaining on the lists isn't going to
change anything. COnly complaints to the FCC have a chance to make
things change. And, AFB is poised to help, but there's only so much we
can do without those complaints to the FCC.

Scott Howell writes:
> From: showell at lrxms.net (Scott Howell)
>
> I did check out the Maxi Aids site and was shocked at the price for this
> damned accessible program. Of course it seems only to be for certain
> phones. I wouldn't consider spending $249 for software that the flippin'
> phone manufacturer should install if nothing else upon request or have
> the provider of the service do it. Hell you can download ring tones and
> crap to the phone so the software should be easily downoaded when you
> get the contract and should be paid for by the provide. My thoughts only
> of course.
> Paying a little something is more reasonable than $249 for
> sure...geez!!!

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group