Backing Up File Systems

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Wed Nov 5 22:19:58 EST 2003

It was suggested to me to use dump to back up a file system.  I tried the
command
dump -0u /var/backup/etcback where etcback is the directory I want to backup
too.  I suspect that dump only wants to backup to tape, but I want to backup
to a file system.  I would also like to be able to do incremental backups
and I would like them to compress.  How should I do this?  Can I still use
dump, and if so, how to I tell it it is not a tape.  When I run the command
above, I get an error, cannot open output /var/backup/etcback

 Rejean Proulx
Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
MSN is: rejp at rogers.com
Ham License VA3REJ