Possible Mailman configuration problem on this list?

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 19:51:49 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>      I notice that when Luke replied to Rejean, Rejean got a copy, as well
> as the list.  It isn't very likely that Luke meant to do that.  So, using
> Pine, I hit R, was asked the usual question about including the text of
> the message being replied to, prompted whether I wanted to use the
> reply-to address rather than the From: address, I said yes.  Usually, that
> would be that, but I was then asked if I wanted to reply to all
> recipients.  Normally, I only get prompted for that if I say no to the
> previous prompt about using the reply-to address.
>
>      What y'all think?

I don't think it's a Mailman problem, but something to do with the headers
generated by the offending mail client.  I can't be sure, as I don't have
aa message to hand at the moment, but I suspect it might have something to
do with the person putting their own Reply-To: header on their mail, and
instead of replacing it, Mailman is just creating another one, but I don't
see this problem for everyone, and on some mailing lists, the Reply-To
header does not exist at all, which creates problems for me because I've
got Pine set up to use the reply-to address and the nickname thereof to
decide which folder to save stuff to; it's not a major deal because I do
most of this by hand as I read a message, but it's still a pain to have to
keep typing "speakup" instead of just hitting return.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808