RFC on solution to Rejean's situation

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Sun Nov 2 01:33:16 EST 2003

To clarify: are you suggesting that the ADSL modem interface, be installed
in the existing Linux machine, thus giving it three interfaces: one to the
Windows network, and two to the net, with the Windows network having no
net interfaces of its own?

I see two potential downsides with this:

1.  If the Linux machine ever goes down for any reason, the Windows
network is totally cut off from the internet.

2.  In addition to its heavy load in mail, apache, MYSQL, Samba, mailing
list management, FTP, and other things, for many meg (to gig, if you count
samba) of data per day, it now also has the load of serving as security
guard, and traffic cop, for the entire network.
Is this really a good thing?

Luke