Battle Of The Iethernet Cards

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Sat Nov 1 15:37:53 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Not sure if I'm clear on your setup, but wouldn't a routing table clear up
> this issue?  Type the commmand:
> route -n
> and show us the output.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  It should be possible to set the
default route, to work through the cablemodem router, and set only what
ever private class C is desired, over the other card, and only that class
C.
Then, run Samba, listening only to the class C interface, and all other
services listening to all interfaces, but only originating connections on
the cable modem router interface.

There are ways to forse all of this with iptables, but I would personally
consider that a cluge.

> Of course, unless you really needed your machines to use different internet
> connections, you could just have your linux machine connected to the net

If you run a big network, with many machines, and more than one server,
his setup actually does make some sense.  The windows segments use one
highspeed conection, with their services, and the Linux side uses its
highspeed connection, with its services.
Depending upon your available connection speeds, this can be understood as
valuable, although with a slight dubious factor.
However, knowing various things about his setup, it does make sense.

> and do IP masquerading for the other boxes.

Note: when dealing with always-on connections, it qualifies as NAT.
masquerading applies only to temporary (usually dialup) PPP connections.

Luke