ACB request for bids on SAMBA network setup.

Charles Crawford ccrawford at acb.org
Tue May 27 06:16:11 EDT 2003

	The American Council of the blind is seeking a blind person expert
in SAMBA to remotely install and configure the software to allow our
national office to perform the following tasks:

	*  Have our previous logical drives ported to the Linux machine so
that we can read and write to the files used previously for our data
storage.  This means the ability of any user to retrieve files from the
server by accessing them with either Windows or DOS applications from their
local machines and either saving or copying the files back to the server
for safe keeping.  An employee may run a database application from their
local machine and want to share that resulting files with others.  It is
not necessary that the modified file be directly written to on the network
as much as it can be copied there for others to access.  The same holds
true for word processed files.  the only application which is important to
access the data files (DBF) from the network and write back to them is the
office calendar.  This program allows the user to enter their daily hours
and activities for report generation of all office staff at the end of the
month.  This is a DOS application which ideally would reside on the server
but could be made local to each machine with the data file on the server
pointed to by the program.

	*  We will need to use the printer services and copier from our
windows machines through the network to the printers and copier.  This
means running a Windows application or DOS and have the printers available
for printing.

	*  Our INTERNET services will also run through the Linux machine
through a separate NIC for use with electronic mail and other web access.
Users will be using their own electronic mail programs from their local
machines such as outlook express and Eudora.

	Persons interested in performing this task should send electronic
mail to Charlie Crawford at CCrawford at ACB.org with an estimated price and
time frame for completion of the work.  The Linux machine to be used for
this purpose will be installed this week.

--
-- Charlie Crawford