Ripping CDS

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Mon May 26 17:06:45 EDT 2003

Hi
Well, if you only want to rely on programs that come with RH, you have a
few choices. cdda2wav is a program that can rip tracks into wav files. It,
however, has no jitter or error correction. cdparanoia is another ripper
that comes with rh, the one I use. It has error/jitter correction and works
well on all cdrom drives that can extract digital audio, which most drives
can. The only ones that can't do this are very old. Cdparanoia, too, rips
tracks to wav files.
As for abcd being a "debian application," this is not strictly true. It is
a debian package, meaning it's been prepackaged for debian. But if you
wanted to, you could locate its homepage (which I can't remember at the
moment), grab the source, and compile it. You would then have it running on
RH. Alternative, you can try searching on:
http://rpmfind.net
and see if someone has compiled an rpm for your system. Keep in mind that
abcd is an interface to other programs, a front-end to a ripper and an
encoder of your choice.
HTH