Sample mutt.rc?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun May 25 10:57:36 EDT 2003

I will include mine inline here; I will plug out the passwords with
all X's but other than that, it will give you what I use.  I have some
settings in there to reformat my status and index lines and I use
IMAP.  you may wish to get your mail by more traditional means like
reading from the current spool on your system.  This is used on one of
my local machines that gets mail from my mail server, another machine
on my LAN.  I urge you to read over the mutt docs to better understand
these options and more.  That's what I did here and this file evolved
over time.  In fact, I think the folder options such as spoolfile and
folder have valid logic defaults if not specified.  You could probably
drop the user and password fields entirely if you aren't using an IMAP
server.  Anyway, good luck.

---------- Start of .muttrc ----------
set imap_user=steve
set imap_pass=XXXXX
set spoolfile="{"lnx1}INBOX"
set folder="{lnx1}mail"
subscribe curses-widgets mutt-users speakup books gw-webeta gw-info cdrdao-devel zinf-devel plug-discuss
set autoedit=no
set alias_file=~/.mutt_aliases
set beep_new=yes
set editor=emacs
set fast_reply=yes
set fcc_attach=no
set from="steve at holmesgrown.com"
set index_format="%4C %Z (%e/%E) %{%b %d} %-15.15F %s"
set mark_old=no
set markers=no
set mime_forward=ask-no
set move=no
set pager_format="-%Z- %C/%m: %-20.20n (%e/%E) %s"
set pager_stop=yes
set record="+sent-mail"
set reverse_alias=yes
set sort=threads
ignore *
unignore date from to cc subject
unhdr_order *
hdr_order Date: From: To: Cc: Subject:
macro index \cb |urlview
macro pager \cb |urlview
macro index \cv |"lynx -stdin" "View HTML messages"
macro pager \cv |"lynx -stdin" "View HTML messages"
macro attach \cv |"lynx -stdin" "View HTML messages"
source ~/.mutt_aliases
macro index \cg imap-fetch-mail