embroiled in mbrola

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Sat May 24 12:40:02 EDT 2003

Am I looking at the wrong instructions or what? I'm trying to install mbrola
3.01h on debian unstable. The installation instructions on the mbrola site (and
in the
zip file) don't appear to me to match the files given. for a linux i386
architecture user, it appears that several architectures' executables are
bundled together, and none of them has the name mbrola (as the instructions
claim) but rather, for instance, mbrola-linux-i386. So ok, I can change the name
of that one to mbrola, I guess. but then I downloaded one of the spanish
databases  (es1-980610) and one of the US ones (us1-980512.zip) and unzipped
them in the mbrola directory. The es1.txt gives you an example using a file that
doesn't even exist in the TEST directory. when I try one of the examples that
does exist, I get a binary number format error and am told I am probably using
the es1
database for the wrong architecture. I saw only one es1 database file, though I
did see other Spanish databases. I got the same error when I tried the us
database.
In my subsequent explorations, I did find something in the files at leb.net
that had diff and orig files for using an older version of mbrola with debian,
but i didn't
see instructions for these files and I didn't know if they were too old to
work on my system. So what do i do now?
Am I missing something obvious? Can mbrola be used with a current debian
system?
I'm really wanting to get this to work so I can read spanish on my computer.
Thanks.

Cheryl