suggestion?

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Fri May 23 21:30:13 EDT 2003

Hi.  I took a Java course last semester and passed with an A.  In the
class I took, we wrote both console applications and graphical applets.  I
was lucky, I guess, cause I have a small amount of vision to be able to
see large shapes on the screen, so I got the instructor's approval to make
things that were too small to see large enough so I could see them.  I
used Linux to run my Java applications so that they were more accessible
to me.  I simply used the Linux SDK available from java.sun.com and ran
the console applications from the command line.  For the applets, I used
Gnome, and although I couldn't see the hilighted menu items or the letters
on the screen, I was able to press alt-f2 and use the run window to type
in "appletviewer" followed by the name of the applet's Java source file
and I could see the applet pop up and sorta see if it did what it was
supposed to do.  If you are totally blind, programming the applet should
be straight-forward enough, but you may need to get your instructor or a
sighted assistant to help you be sure a graphical applet does what is't
programmed to do.  As for the console apps, they will just run from the
command line with no trouble.  If you are stuck with Windows, there should
still be a work-around, even if all you have at your disposal is the Jaws
cursor.
Hope this helps at least a little.

Lorenzo

It's a bird..
It's a plane..
No, it's KernelMan, faster than a speeding bullet, to your rescue.
Doing new kernel versions in under 5 seconds flat..
	-- Linus, in the announcement for 1.3.27