missing file

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at novocon.net
Tue May 13 07:34:34 EDT 2003

I applied the new checkout script (May 13) to a fresh version of
the 2.4.20 kernel, did "make oldconfig" on my old .config file,
then "make dep" without error, and then "make bzImage" and got
the following error. There is a long gcc line, then an rm line,
and finally an ld line that refers to a non-existent .o file.
Does anyone have any idea what is happening here? The old
checkout script never resulted in this error and I have made no
other changes since using it successfully two days ago.

----------
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -malign-functions=4
-nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=rtc  -c -o rtc.o
rtc.c
rm -f char.o
ld -m elf_i386  -r -o char.o mem.o tty_io.o n_tty.o tty_ioctl.o
raw.o pty.o misc.o random.o vt.o vc_screen.o consolemap.o
consolemap_deftbl.o console.o selection.o serial.o keyboard.o
defkeymap.o pc_keyb.o speakup/spk.o lp.o busmouse.o rtc.o
ld: cannot open speakup/spk.o: No such file or directory

Thanks for any suggestions.
Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)
So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh