Where is gnome-autogen.sh?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon May 12 07:29:42 EDT 2003

The problem I've discovered is that the autogen.sh and a lot of other
stuff seems to be hard-coded to use version 1.4 of automake and assumes
it's called automake-1.4.  I first tried editing various files, but I
couldn't find every reference to it.  Finally, I downloaded automake-1.4
and build it with "./configure --program-suffix=-1.4.".  Then, I did the
usual "make" and "make install" which put automake-1.4 in /usr/local/bin.
I still couldn't get it to build because it now wanted
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 and couldn't find it.  I ended up
making a symbolic link from /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 to
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.  This gets me through gnome-common,
but I can't get any further because gnome-speech is looking for gnome-2.0
libraries.  On top of that, I built Festival and am now hearing that
Festival doesn't work properly with Gnopernicus despite what the web page
says.  I just got on the gnome-accessibility list and we'll see what I can
get from them.  I think that the whole demo on Main Menu was a really bad
idea because it gives the illusion that Gnopernicus is close to complete
when it looks like that is far from the truth.  No matter what, I'm bound
and determined to get it running.  I figure it's not going to get any
better without input from testers, and I have a strong desire to see Linux
become a viable alternative to Windows for everybody.