best way to install rh9?

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Thu May 8 15:10:18 EDT 2003

Hi
I'll probably wind up going with a kickstart file--if I get it wrong the
first time I'll just have to get it right--grin. Anyhow, what would I have
to do to patch keyboard.c? It's gonna take a bit to get the 3 iso images,
so it'll be a little while before I install it.
just out of curiosity: what has rh done to keyboard.c that requires it to
be patched by hand? I was going to suggest making a patch file, but with
CVS, that just might not be an option since it changes so rapidly. Maybe
there's a way for a rh-specific patch to be put into cvs and the install or
checkout script could decide which one to apply based on a condition,
possibly the condition of a build number after the kernel version (rh and
mandrake are the only distros I know of that do this). I mean something
such as 2.4.20 and 2.4.20-9. Perhaps if the script could determine the
difference, it could know to apply the 2.4.20 redhat patch to 2.4.20-9, for
example. Would such a thing be possible?
For now, though, can you send me some instructions on how to hand-patch it,
what line numbers, what I need to change, etc?