2 minor video problems with Red Hat

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Wed May 7 22:44:38 EDT 2003

I am having 2 minor problems with RH9 on my laptop.  First, I can't seem
to find the configuration file or program that will allow me to use the
framebuffer console on RH9.  In slackware, it's in the liloconfig program,
butut RH uses GRUB primarily, which I like cause it's faster, but if I
wanted to switch to Lilo I could, but there is no Liloconfig, and I don't
know anywhere near enough about Lilo to make a lilo.conf file from
scratch.
Secondly, RH9 detects my ATI Radeon 64 DDR video card, but it won't allow
a screen resolution of 1024x768, which is the only resolution that will
produce a full-screen display on my laptop.  Again, Slackware gave me no
problem with this, so obviously I'm just missing something in the
configuration system.  However during install, it asks me to pick a screen
resolution, but it only allows 600x400 and 800x600 or domething like that.
It is a very minor problem, but I do have a limited amount of vision, so
in X-windows I can see some applets that I write at school.  The
framebuffer, however has other more noticeable implications even for a
totally blind user, as it allows many more lines on the actual screen as
well as the virtual review screen at one time.  Any help would be
appreciated to help me resolve these situations.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Shoot me again.
Just proving that the quickest way to solve the problem is to post a
whine to the newsgroups: within moments the solution presents itself to
me, and meanwhile my ass is hanging out on the Net... *sigh*...
	-- Dave Phillips, dlphilp at bright.net, about problem solving via news