kernel compiled successful but still more

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed May 7 18:41:13 EDT 2003

You screwed up somehow.  Maybe you left out support for IDE hard drives?
Maybe you left out support for EXT2 and/or EXT3?  Did you run Lilo after
compiling and copying the kernel to the right place?  Don't use "make
config."  It's too much of a pain in the neck.  I suggest "make
menuconfig."  It is easy to turn on and off options with that.  A "*"
shows an option being on and a "m" shows it as a module.  Now, let me ask
you this.  Why are you compiling a kernel?  Are you trying to patch in
Festival support for Speakup or just trying to optimize your system?  If
it is the latter case, you should be turning off anything that doesn't
apply to you.  For example, if you are using a desktop, you don't need
PCMCIA.  If you have no USB ports, you don't need USB.  If you have
anything newer than an early 386, you don't need math emulation.  Is this
your first kernel build?  Those first builds were really tough for me as I
didn't understand a lot of what it was asking.  I quickly learned what
happens if you turn off PCI support when you have a PCI system.  You lose
your serial ports and will be lucky if you can log in.  My point is this.
Always make backups of your old kernel!  Use the help a lot.  Use "make
menuconfig" and you will be able to back up and change things.  Remember
to run Lilo if you are using it after putting the kernel in the right
place.  If you want, send me your .config privately and I can take a look
at it to see if you are missing something obvious.