kernel stuff

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon May 5 15:13:05 EDT 2003

When compiling the kernel itself, use 'make bzImage, not zImage.  That
will create a .bz2 compression of the kernel image.  I don't think
zImage will ever work again; they should probably get rid of it.

If I were you, I would read all possible docs you can find about
kernel compilation.  You're basically on track for compiling a kernel
but as for getting a current version of speakup going, do the
following:
get a new source of the kernel from ftp.kernel.org and download
linux-2.4.20.tar.gz;
untar it into /usr/src and make a symbolic link linux to point to
linux-2.4.20 created by the tar extraction.
On the side, get the checkout script from lnx-speakup.org and run it
from an outside directory; I personally run it from my root home
directory, /root.
Run checkout and answer the prompts and speakup should be patched into
your kernel source.
I should backup a moment and urge you to save your kernel
comfiguration from prior good compiles and copy that file back into
your /usr/src/linux source tree and be sure it is called .config.
Then do a 'make oldconfig'.  Any new options introduced with 2.4.19
and 2.4.20 will be presented and you should answer them to the best of
your desires and abilities:).  Save this file back for future use.

Then compile as usual the kernel and you should have a talking kernel
when done.  the 'make modules_install will place the modules in
/lib/2.4.20/kernel/..... Oh, don't forget to do lilo and assuming you
have that set up the way you want.  If you're not familiar with lilo,
read the man page (more than once if necessary) to understand your
options.

HTH
<Steve>