Linux with speech: which way to go?

Alexandre Alves Tôco alexandretoco at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 12:48:39 EDT 2003

Hi, speakup and Emacspeak are different things. Emacspeak is an audio
desktop. If you work in it, you will edit text, send e-mails and other
things more straitforward. But you will not learn linux commands. Speakup,
on the contrary, is a screen reader. So, you will have to learn to use the
same applications that every one uses and will need to learn some shell
commands.
In terms of study, speakup is preferible because you will interact with
linux at the bottom line.
There is a software synthesizer for speakup but I didn't figure out how to
install it. But if you have an external synthesizer, maybe a good idea is to
use zipspeak, a mini distribution that can be installed in a harddisk
formated to use DOS or windows. It already has speakup patched so you will
only need to unzip it and use!