Unpopularity of Linux notetakers

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at novocon.net
Sat May 3 21:50:58 EDT 2003

Hi,
On 3 May 2003, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> Hell,
> my first computer I wrote and used morse code to read the screen.  I
> hate absolutes.

My first computer I used punched cards and an IBM 026 keypunch. I
had to read the information on the cards using a stylus to feel
the holes and a humungous metal card holder made by Steubing
Engineering in Cincinnati so I could tell which card column I was
reading. Output was braille printed on a line printer cushioned
with a foot and a half of garter elastic.

Later I used a teletype attached to a time sharing system over so
slow a link that I could count the characters as it printed, and
I learned to figure out what it must be typing from the rhythm
and length of the response string.

So, my friends, speech and braille are conveniences, but there
must be about a zillion ways to skin a cat. I never used Morse
code though. That is cool!

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh