Unpopularity of Elba

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sat May 3 14:55:59 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Actually Saqib, if you wanted to really understand the Elba and how it
works on a network, think of it as a Linux box, then you will
understand.  A linux box, unless you are using Samba, can not exchange
files with a Windows one using FTP.  On the other hand, the Windows
box can FTP to the Linux box with no trouble.  Why, because the Linux
box understands and can read communication From Windows to it.
Windows, on the other hand, can not read communication via FTP from a
Linux box.  Windows doesn't recognize Linux at all!  If, for example,
you have a Linux and Windows computer, i.e. a dual boot system, you
can mount the Windows partition/disk on the Linux side no trouble.
You can come and go within the windows environment, see all the files,
read them, and write to them, even.  On the other hand, Windows is
incapable of recognizing a linux partition.  As far as Billy-Boy is
concerned, his OS is egocentric and will remain so.  That is why your
Elba can not talk to your PC.  It isn't that the Elba is illiterate or
not bilingual, it's that your PC is!  Your PC, unless it is a Linux
box, is, as I have said, egocentric, monolingual, and parochial.  It
don't wanna talk to nobody who's different or who speaks funny or who
dresses funny or who uses a slash instead of a backslash.  I mean
*really* that is the end of uncooth, according to the high society of
Windowsdom.  Actually, if it ain careful, it's going to trip over its
feet if it keeps its nose in the air like that, Saqib! It's *not* the
Elba's fault!

On the other hand, iffin you want to talk to a Linux box with it, you
can talk either direction.  Both Linux boxes can talk to each other
just peachy keen and wonderful

Now I admit that five pounds is rather heavy, but shoot for the
convenience... Only thing it lacks and not for long, is GPS.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854