Unpopularity of Linux notetakers

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sat May 3 11:38:38 EDT 2003

Hi All,

Igor, you can't just demand that your rehab people get you an Elba.
Yes, they don't know about Elba, and if you say the word, they look at
you like you're weird.  The thing you have to do, is not just say, "I
would like an Elba."  You have to do what I'm doing now, researching
it!  Talk to Pelisher at Sighted.  See if he will do a demo for your
rehab folks.  they don't need to know as much about Linux, maybe, but
what might impress them is:  long battery life, thirty-six months
warantee on braille cells, plays MP3 files *now* not next month's
release, has network card as standard, not upon request, has USB and
IR ports *now* not upon request, has larger capacity for storage, 5
gigs if you purchase that card/thinger, coming GPS same as for
packmate, (only probably more stable because of the OS, this bit not
relevant to them).  Do your homework, guy, if you want an Elba, tell
them why!  Explain about your programming needs, (Elba has C compiler
upon request).

All they care about is if it's cost effective and if it will be used
properly.  Don't give 'em too much info, not unless you're talking to
their techies, and then, give fullsome detail.

    David> I'd start with a note to sighted electronics and I would
    David> also copy my request to your congressperson.  You should be
    David> able to get what you need not what they think or try to
    David> tell you that they need.  The truth is that they don't
    David> understand linux and they are geared towards windows.  We
    David> had the same trouble with jaws in maryland till I banged on
    David> them from my position in the tech act project, brought jaws
    David> in and trained them and began demonstrating it to various
    David> and assundry folk who started asking for it inside and
    David> outside the rehab center.

Ah, David, just what did you mean here?  Did you mean Linux or
Window-Eyes or what?  You mistyped and lost your point.  <smile>

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854