RH or Debian:why?

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu May 1 18:18:09 EDT 2003

 > Red Hat's X-Windows configuration tools are unmatched.

With the new Xfree86 version 4.x, on most systems, you
can just do Xfree86 -configure. It will find your video
card and generate a XF86Config file. If you look at
what is generated, there's almost nothing in there!
That's because X does most things dynamically now.
There are no modelines needed for most systems. The
x-windows system will generate modelines on startup
(look at the X log file and you will see what I mean).
I agree that redhat has good x config tools, but with
the new XFree86 configuration is usually automatic
using the -configure option. It puts an XF86Config.new
in the /root directory (it needs to be renamed and
copied to /etc/X11or wherever the config file should be.

   -- Doug