Suggestion for Speakup Parameter Keys

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Thu May 1 14:29:53 EDT 2003

On 05/01/03 10:43 AM -0400, Lorenzo Prince wrote:
> A potentially better idea would be to have a single key to set all speech
> parameters from a menu or mode or something.  You would press something
> like speakup-s and either a menu would pop up where you could choose a
> parameter you wanted to set, or Speakup would enter a speech parameters
> mode where you could use every key on the keyboard if necessary to set any
> and all speech parameters.  Then you could maybe press speakup-s again to
> exit this mode or even the escape or q key or something.

I personally *don't* like this idea, it  appears to be trying to make a gui kind of
thing out of speakup. If you want something like this there is already a
speakupconfig utility up on the linux-speakup ftp site, and it could be
updated/rewritten for the new version. While new features in speakup are
great, I fear that it may become too bloated if all these suggestions
are implemented. Please please don't ever make me press
insert+alt+ctrl+shift+anything! Two keys, okay, three maybe, but this is
a command line, large numbers of key combos seem rather a cluge. Just my
$0.02. *looking for flame retardant underware*

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.