t1 versus cabel/modem

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Mon Mar 31 20:49:40 EST 2003

Hi Gregory,

Well, you can use ifconfig to get very basic information, such as the
aggregate numbers of received and transmitted bytes and packets.  From that
information, you could calculate bandwidth used.  If you are running Red Hat
Linux, their copy of the ifconfig utility permits you to view the status of
all interfaces by simply typing /sbin/ifconfig and pressing enter.  If you
want information on a specific interface like eth0 (the first Ethernet
interface) then type:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0

If you run another distribution, you may need to type something like the
following to view the status of all interfaces:
ifconfig -a

I'm sure there are many other ways to do all this.  I haven't used them in
awhile now.

A+, CCNA, Network+!
All the best to coalition forces carrying out Operation Iraqi Freedom!