t1 versus cabel/modem

Bear in SFO bearsfo at PacBell.NET
Sat Mar 29 00:12:36 EST 2003

If my memory serves me, cable actually runs at T3 speed but you will have
to share with your neighbors...  So for a while if all the people in your
apartment building use their cable at the same time you get zip, but if
nobody use it you get the whole T3...  the cable people get smart and put a
filter on it so you can never get any faster than maybe 2Mbit/s...

ADSL on the other hand is 1.5Mbit/s and you don't share the line with
anyone else but you depends on your ISP - if their servers goes down you're
SOOL until they can fix it...

T1 is guaranteed because it puts you right onto the internet, and you are
on your own once you are on it...

Does this help?

--David