bogus tty entry

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Mar 28 23:10:30 EST 2003

Lorenzo Prince staggered into view and mumbled:

>thanks everyone for your help.  I was able to get it to work.  Just
>another question prompted by the message to which I'm replying.  How did
>you get the mail client to quote my message using the opening line:
>
>"Lorenzo Prince staggered into view and mumbled:"
>
>Really cool.  I want to get my system to do that too.

I use `elm' for my mail client.  As with many (perhaps all?) mail
clients these days, an option exists in a configuration file to set
up the feature you are looking for.  The first time `elm' is run, a
directory named '.elm' was created in my home directory, and a file
named 'elmrc' was written to that directory.  I used a text editor
to set the various options in the file, although I believe `elm' has
an option menu which could have been used to set up most or all of
the selections in this file.  The line in my elmrc file which
produces the line you are curious about reads as follows:

attribution = %s staggered into view and mumbled:

As I mentioned above, a similar option is probably available in just
about every mail client out there these days, so whichever client you
decide to use should be able to produce a similar attribution line.
I hope this info proves helpful, and have a _great_ weekend!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
_PI = 4 * ARCTAN (1)