Speakup and phoebe

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 20:47:31 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Lorenzo Prince wrote:

> So how do I get Gnome to work on my Slackware 9.0 system?  When I type
> 'gdm' which I thought was the command to start Gnome, it does nothing.

Gnome is part of X-windows, so X-windows has to be running.  The easiest
way to get it up and running in Slackware is to type "xwmconfig" and
select Gnome as your default window manager.  Then, type "startx" from a
shell prompt.  Just to clarify, I still can't use Gnome with speech as the
Gnopernicus screen reader isn't yet ready for production use.  Slackware
has the right version of Gnome and some accessibility plug-ins, but I
don't know what else would be required other than the CVS copy of
Gnopernicus.  I suspect that large print users may be in luck, but I don't
think a person who relies exclusively on speech is.  I know some people
have played with the stuff, and I want to, but don't know where to start.