bogus tty entry

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 07:24:36 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Joseph C. Lininger wrote:

> I believe you actually want to get rid of /var/run/utmp, not wtmp. wtmp
> holds login information, but not the info on who is currently logged in.
> utmp is the file that holds that info. As I said in a previous message, I
> don't recommend overwriting this file while your system is live because
> some very weird things will happen if you do.

Ok, never mind, it is /var/run/utmp.  I did it once, and then logged out
of all my consoles.  It didn't give me any problems, but it sure wouldn't
hurt to reboot if you can if it makes you feel safer.  Whatever the case,
it hasn't happened to me in ages, so I thought that whatever caused it was
fixed.  I think it was in Slackware 8.0 where I was having the bogus
entries problem.