Speakup and phoebe

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Mar 26 22:34:54 EST 2003

As you've sadly discovered, Speakup is not included with Red Hat's current beta called Phoebe, nor will it be included in the upcoming release of Red Hat 9.0. We are
hoping and expecting it to be restored to Red Hat in their next release, but that doesn't help us now.

The floppy diskette images from Red Hat 8.0 will not work for installing 9.0 or Phoebe. Bill Acker is working on a solution, but don't expect anything for a few weeks.

Meanwhile, if you have two machines available, you might be able to install using telnet as follows:

1.)	Boot the system on which you want to install using a non-speaking boot floppy. You will press enter twice, I think--I will confirm this in a forthcoming HOWTO.

	Use the following command at the Boot> prompt:

	text telnet

2.)	Use your second machine's ping command as follows to discover the address dhcp gave to your target machine.
	ping -b x.y.z.255

NOTE: You need to know what domain is providing dhcp in ytour network. For example, on my system it's 192.168.10.*

3.)	telnet to that address and install as usual.

Of course, this won't take care of everyone. Please be patient.