Synth keyword for festival?

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Wed Mar 26 22:27:07 EST 2003

Howdy,

OK...now here's the latest on my laptop and getting the Festival-enabled Speakup going:

For some reason, the ALSA drivers won't load. However, the OSS driver
does. So...I have sound. Not only do I have sound, but festival reads
a text file (so it works). I have middleware compiled. However,
speakup doesn't....well...speak up. I do
festival --server &
middleware &
And nothing talks. No errors either.

Looking in /var/log/syslog; it shows (with an append of
speakup_synth=fest or speakup_synth=festival) that fest (or festival)
is an unknown synthesizer type. However, with no synthesizer
specified, the kernel boots and says it detects a Speakout (which I
don't have). Even so, it still doesn't talk. So. ... What's the synth
keyword?

Getting closer by the minute--
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3   | "And if the ground yawned,
Phone: (814) 455-7333     | I'd step to the side and say,