problems compiling festival enabled kernel

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Tue Mar 25 23:26:12 EST 2003

Hi all
Well, I went and grabbed the patches for speakup with festival, grabbed the
2.4.19 kernel source and patched it up properly, or so I thought. But I
must've done something wrong somewhere along the lines. The kernel compile
goes fine until it reaches speakup_drvcommon.c, then fails. On line 136 I
get a parse error right before the serial struct, and on line 144 it says
the identifier `parent' is undeclared. Here's how I patched it up: untarred
the package, installed speakup 1.00 to the kernel 2.4.19 source, it patched
fine. Then copied all the files in the source distro to their proper place,
all the includes, etc. Configured the kernel and chose both litetalk and
festival options, setting the default to litetalk for now. Did make dep
clean modules bzlilo. That's when it fails with the two errors. Odd thing
is, I can't see what would've broken it, aside from the festival lines I
can't see any real changes to the speakup source. But, I'm not proficient
in C really so I've probably missed something. I did not include a sound
card in the kernel could this produce the problem? The reason I didn't
include a sound card is because I want to use the ALSA drivers, as I've
done in the past--they're the only drivers that support my onboard chip.
Well, the commercial drivers do too but why pay for them when the ALSA
drivers are better?

Any ideas?
Regards
Jacob