software speach with speakup

Erik Heil eheil at eheil.dns2go.com
Fri Mar 21 07:44:56 EST 2003

Hey Alex. Well, I would assume that Alsa may be involved somehow, which
would involve modifying the boot sequence.  However, this would create
problems, as it would significantly increase the size of the kernel, and
once you start messing with boot sequences, you have an inherent risk of
breaking the entire system. i.e.  A compromise will have to be made between
quality and TTS rules. In effect, no Festival, BC its way too large for such
a project, something lightweight will be used.  But it would be interesting
to see the final code, or even some of it in beta form when its finally
released. Maybe I'll check the CVS server, their may be some modules within
unstable or testing trees.  Anyhow, should be interesting. If any of you get
hold of some of the code, let me know.