dial-up server catch-22

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Thu Mar 20 21:28:12 EST 2003

There was a (now very old) program called getty_ps which did this.
It had what it called ring back mode where the modem would watch for a call, then a break then another call.
It'd answer the second call, so long as it came within a certain amount of time.
The first call would go unanswered (to your answering machine).
I'm no sure where you'd get it these days, or even if it would still work with the current serial driver in the kernel,
but thats the only way i know to achieve this.
Your phone company might be able to provide you with a distinctive ring service,
and if it can, you could use mgetty to answer a call appropriately
based on the ring pattern your modem receives (data calls would get answered before the answering machine had time to wake up to the presence of a call,
and voice calls could be ignored, or, you could do away with the answering machine altogether and answer voice calls with mgetty+voice.
Regards
Aaron