word documents

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sun Mar 16 02:12:03 EST 2003

There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
word2x or catdoc will both convert word documents to text with varying degrees of accuracy.
You can email pdf documents to pdf2txt at sun.trace.wisc.edu as an attachment and you'll get them back in plain text,
or you can install xpdf which comes with a pdftotext utility.
The advantage of the xpdf route is that its a very simple patch to make it ignore pdf encryption
so if you're ok with building a source package, you can have yourself a pdf converter that doesn't worry about silly  conversions restrictions
like acrobat reader does.
Regards
Aaron