This DHCP is too dynamic

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sun Jun 29 16:16:36 EDT 2003

Janina Sajka in <20030629200755.GB24435 at rednote.net>:

>I'm trying to help a friend. I have an account on her system, but her
>ISP seems to change her IP about once a minute.
>
>Aside from my curiosity about how they could make such a thing work, is
>there anything I can do to stabalize her on a single address?
>
>I've never seen anything like this, but then I have no experience with
>pppoe, either.

Sign her up for a dynamic dns hostname <www.dyndns.org> are very good,
and the Linux clients work very well, run as a daemon etc.  The
service is free, and you refer to her box via myname.dyndns.org and
then if they have the correct a record assigned to that hostname then
you can connect.  The clients can be configured (i.e, how often to
update dyndns records etc).

Andrew.
--
Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
Email: Andrew at hodgsonfamily.org