fetching queued mail

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 19:13:42 EDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Adam Myrow wrote:

> Fetchmail works great as a daemon indeed.  However, I think what he's
> saying is that because his MTA is started in /etc/inittab instead of
> somewhere else, it is coming up after Fetchmail gets going and thus,
> fetchmail can't deliver to port 25.  I've never run a MTA from inittab, so
> I'm not all that sure how you'd go about changing things.  Personally, I
> prefer to run fetchmail from my own login rather than as root.

Well, why not simply have a cron job as your user, that simply checks for
the existance of a file, say something like /etc/fetch.
If it exists, then the script will exit, if it doesn't exist, then touch
the file and start Fetchmail.  The only thing to remember here is that you
need to also ensure that the file is removed when the daemon is killed,
perhaps in /etc/rc.d/rc.0.  You'd probably need to add a check for
fetchmail in ps, but that shouldn't prove too difficult.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808