sendmail authentication: correction

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jun 23 01:12:24 EDT 2003

I have had at least two ISP's do this a while back when I had dial-up
accounts.  But I must say that the default configurations for sendmail
in Slackware do direct sending and make no mention of smart hosting.
In fact, I used to smart host my mail to earthlink, the default mail
host for Sprint Brod Band and Earthlink's DNS would not resolve
properly for mail being sent to the speakup list.  I had to go back to
direct sending of my mail since Sprint's local DNS's were properly
configured and my mail would get through this way.

So now, all my "inside" machines on my LAN use a "smart host" to my
router/mailer, now running Slackware 9 and that machine dies a direct
send as I just mentioned.  I have Exim running on all my linux boxes
and life is good:).