pico

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Jun 22 18:45:07 EDT 2003

Pico is part of the pine package.  Pine is an email reader and pico stands
for Pine Composer.  It sounds like Pine didn't get installed.  No
surprise.  I found that many packages in Redhat are skipped unless you
either install everything which, as you found out, takes up a lot of
space, or go to the trouble of selecting packages one by one.  As for
other editors, you are guaranteed to have vi on the system, but it can be
a frustrating editor for a new user.  Emacs may also have been installed.
It's quite powerful, but also somewhat cryptic.  I don't know if Redhat
has it or not, but there is an editor called joe which some people like.
In other words, there is a lot of choice, but it depends on what is
installed.  You can always go back and install packages later on, so all
is not lost.