sendmail authentication: correction

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sun Jun 22 11:51:28 EDT 2003

Adam Myrow in
<Pine.LNX.4.53.0306221042110.4421 at homerun.midsouth.rr.com>:

>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>
>> I take it there is a reason you can't do direct end-to-end delivery
>> using your copy of Sendmail?
>
>Well, nobody should do that.  Before I really knew what I was doing with
>Linux, that was what I attempted.  A large number of ISPS will bounce your
>mail if you do that.  They consider it a security risk since spammers love
>to use this method to send their garbage.

Well this is how mail normally propergates around the Internet, so I
am not sure why we shouldn't be doing that.  I would rather ensure
that my mail gets delivered to its destination than to put the
responsability onto another machine.  I realise that some isps block
people who are on a dynamicip, but for people like mw who have a
static ip this is not an issue.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
Email: Andrew at hodgsonfamily.org