problems building the linux-vr kernel

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jun 20 18:00:39 EDT 2003

Hello folks.

Since I'm cross posting this to 2 lists, some background info follows.
I am trying to build a port of linux to the NEC vr4121 cpu from www.linux-vr.org.

Well to make a long story short, I managed to hunt down and install the cross development tools.

However, I'm running into problems when trying to build the linux-vr kernel both from cvs and the 0.11 snap shot per instructions in their kernel building how to.

Doing make config and make dep goes fine.

The problems start when trying to do make stripped. It looks like init/main.c is missing, although it does exist. The output below is from trying make stripped on the 0.11 snap shot version.

Anybody with cross compiling kernel experience have an idea how to get around this?

Thanks.

Greg

gcc -O2 -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
mipsel-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-vr/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer  -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -Wa,-m4100 -pipe  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
cc1: main.c: No such file or directory
cc1: unrecognized option `-quiet'
cc1: No input files
*Initialization*:1: warning: `__SIZE_TYPE__' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: `__PTRDIFF_TYPE__' redefined
as: unrecognized option `-G'
cpp0: output pipe has been closed
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1