Pop3 Stopped Working On Red Hat 8 System

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 20 12:03:40 EDT 2003

On 06/20/03  9:40 AM -0400, Richard Wells wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Bill Acker had configured pop3 to work on my Red Hat system. I can still
> telnet to port 110 from inside and do mail commands, but I cannot get to
> it from outside at all. Did my ISP do something or do I need to change
> something or maybe even restart pop3? All ideas/command examples are
> welcome. I would really like to be able to hit pop3 remotely again.

It sounds like you have a firewall up. Redhat installs a basic one by
default iirc. You can try 'iptables -L" to see if a rule that blocks
port 110 exists. You will have to get an answer from a rh user about the redhat way to configure or disable the firewall.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.