text editing with speakup

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 16 21:30:15 EDT 2003

On 06/16/03  6:37 PM -0600, Joseph C. Lininger wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does anyone know of a way that I can do efficient text editing under
> Linux? I'm now using pico with cursoring mode turned on in speakup.
> Unfortunately, this has some major problems. Lines sometimes get
> reread, and backspacing is a nightmare! Any suggestions?

If you are up to it you might try speakup from cvs, its not quite ready
for production, but the cursor tracking is much improved. If you try it
make sure to keep a backup entry in lilo and your old kernel in case it
goes south.

The editor I like is vim, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Both
nano and pico are very similar, with nano having more features. Many
people like emacs, but imho its learning curve is even higher than the
one for vim. You can check all of these out at the following.
vim: http://vim.sourceforge.net
nano: http://www.nano-editor.org
emacs: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

P.S. Your mailer didn't seem to wrap lines properly at about 72 chars.
--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.