Now what?

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Fri Jun 13 10:24:39 EDT 2003

Knoppix (not Knorpix) is a bootable iso image of a Debian distribution on
a CD.  It will load a linux kernel into RAM and run a plethora of
applications off the CD, without ever touching your hard drive, unless you
specifically mount and use it (read-only or if you are daring read-write).
I do not know whether speakup is built into Knoppix, or emacspeak, or any
other such tool.  But I do know that a Knoppix disk can be customized by
whoever burns the CD to contain just about any software they wish to
include.  Knoppix's strong point, besides its ability to decompress
software on the fly and run it off the CD, seems to be its hardware
recognition tools.  One of my linux mentors swears by using the Knoppix CD
to write his XF86Config files for the X11 server.  Better than any he has
ever hand-hacked, he says.

-- Hugh